I like caramel sauce and this can be used to make so many dishes.
What more than a home-made sauce! and its not complicated at all.. it takes a few minutes and turns out tasty.
Recipe from Barefoot Contessa (Food Network), Found and implemented first by my friend Kavya, then tried by me.
Things to watch out- Sugar color before adding the cream, it should be just right, if you don’t get it the first time you will surely get it the second.
Cook time : 15 min
1. 1 1/2 cups sugar
2. 1/3 cup water
3. 1 1/4 cups heavy cream(whipping)
4. 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Mix the water and sugar in a medium heavy-flat-bottomed saucepan. Cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the sugar dissolves.
2. Do not stir. Increase the heat to medium and boil uncovered until the sugar turns a warm chestnut brown (about 350 degrees F on a candy thermometer),
about 5 to 7 minutes, gently swirling the pan to stir the mixture.
CAUTION! EXTREMELY HOT!
3. Watch the mixture very carefully at the end, as it will go from caramel to burnt very quickly. Turn off the heat. Stand back to avoid splattering and slowly add the cream and vanilla. Don’t worry – the cream will bubble violently and the caramel will solidify.
4. Simmer over low heat, stirring constantly, until the caramel dissolves and the sauce is smooth, about 2 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature, at least 4 hours. It will thicken as it sits.
Fill it up into a easy-to-pour bottle, and its ready to use.