This is not a very typical ( from the streets of Thailand) kind of recipe, its a tried and improved accordingly kind of recipe. If you looking for an authentic recipe this is’nt it, it is close but not exact.
I had left over rice noodles ( from the previous days Pho ( Vietnamese), find the recipe in later post), So I gave pad thai a shot and it turned out pretty well and if the sauce is ready and all the ingredients at hand then its the easiest dish to make. Well it has to be because in Thailand the street vendors work it in a minimum space and shortest time in their wok.
Time: 30 mins
1. Use 1/3 lb Rice noodles (banh hoen, mie hoi/rice vermicelli, can get in any store which sells muti-national products(thai, indian etc)/ asian markets)
2. 1/2 cup Ground peanuts ( can do with salted peanuts (like planters) just grind(coffee grinder/ blender) it until it is small pieces and NOT paste)
3. 10 flakes of garlic
4. equal (to garlic) or lesser amount of ginger
5. 6 thai green chillies ( can substitute with other green chillies)
6. 1/2 bunch of spring onions
7. 1 cup sprouts
8. 1/4 cup onions
9. 1/2 tsp. tamarind paste
10. 4 tsp sugar
11. salt as per
12. ground red chilly paste / paprika powder/ paprika
13. 1 tsp soy sauce
14. 1 tsp green chilly sauce ( optional)
15. 3 eggs
16. shrimp/chicken shreds/beef shreds/pork shreds
17. 3 tsp oil
18. 7 basil leaves
( you can add other veggies like zucchini, bell peppers etc)
For the Sauce, use the following ingredients:
- Tamarind ( paste or piece soaked in warm water and use the water)
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 flakes of garlic
- 3 green chillies
Directions to make the sauce:
- Boil tamarind water add soy sauce, paprika ( or red chilly paste/ground red chillies )
- add sugar
- slit 3 green chillies length wise and add along with 2 crushed garlic flakes.
- after 10 mins switch off and cool the sauce and add it into a easy-to-pour bottle.
Clean and cut the meat you will be using (shrimp/chicken/beef/pork) and mix with salt and paprika and leave it aside.
Soak the rice noodles in hot/warm water until the noodles is soft, after it turns soft strain it.
- Ideally we should use a wok ( big round bottom ) if you don’t have that we can make do with deep flat bottom pan.
- Add oil and add finely chopped garlic, chopped ginger, chopped green chillies, chopped onions, and after sometime add chopped spring onions.
- Fry these for a while, and add meat and veggies, and add 1/2 cup of sauce ( add more if u need), green chilly sauce ( salt and paprika if required) let the meat and other veggies cook
- Once it is done, move everything in the pan to a corner of the pan in the other empty space
- Add 3 eggs scramble them well and then mix the rest, now add sprouts and ground peanuts, add more sauce whenever required.
- After everything is cooked add noodles ( add noodles in the end because it is difficult to mix later anything later) and chopped basil leaves and mix well ( easy to mix with chop sticks/ can use ends of spoons).
- Check for taste adjust sauce, paprika, sugar etc as per. Turn off the burner and its done!
- In the picture I have Shrimp Pad-Thai with Buttered-Asparagus side, I have
this recipe posted under appetizers.