I got a thumbs up for the curry from my husband for this. This is first half of making mutton biryani, but we like the curry so much I decided to stop at the curry.
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 2 lbs small cut goat/mutton
- 20 black pepper corns
- 10 cloves
- 6 Cardamom pods (seeds only)
- 1/2 tsp Black Cumin (Shajeera)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 10 Cilantro seeds
- 1 1/2 cups yougurt
- 2 tsp Chilli powder (Cayenne pepper powder)
- About 6 stems of chopped Mint
- About a bunch of cilantro
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 3 Serrano peppers (green) cut length wise
- 1 tbsp oil
Step 1: Garam Masala
Step 2: Marinade
Mix the goat, garam masala, chilli powder, yogurt, mint, cilantro, Serrano peppers, oil and ginger garlic paste. Refrigerate for 1 hr. Before cooking bring it to room temperature.
Step 3: Cook
Pressure cook (Indian pressure cooker) the marinated goat for up to 20 whistles. (Do not add water yet).
Turn off the gas and let the steam escape.
Open the cooker after the pressure is released, Add 1 cup water and salt and cook for 10 mins until the water evaporates for a good consistency.
Step 4: Garnish
Add chopped cilantro to garnish.
( Instead of a pressure cooker you can cook the meat in a closed pan until the meat is cooked and tender, this may take longer than an hour)